Cupid Candies is a family owned business, founded by Paul Stefanos in 1936, and has been manufacturing quality chocolate and serving Chicagoland residents in our own retail stores for the past 68 years. The first store was at 79 th and Ashland, where only fudge, toffee, and popcorn were sold. By 1940 Paul Stefanos, and his wife Pauline, opened another store at 3207 W. 63 rd Street, along with a small manufacturing facility, where the chocolate line was expanded. By using only the finest ingredients-dairy cream and butter, premium nuts, real chocolate and natural flavors- a practice we still use today, the company had grown into what local residents remember from their childhood-a candy store where the chocolates are made fresh daily-never frozen.
In 1946 the manufacturing facility was moved to 3143 W. 63 rd Street, to accommodate the growing business. By 1956, once again, it became necessary to expand. A new plant was built at 7637 S. Western Avenue, which is still the current manufacturing plant. At that time "old fashioned" ice cream shops were added to the Cupid Candy stores. Currently two locations, 4707 W. 95 th Street in Oak Lawn and 9420 W. 143 rd Street in Orland Park, offer a complete sit-down and carryout soda fountain service along with the candy stores.
In the 1970's, efforts were made to expand into the wholesale and private label markets. We currently supply dozens of independent candy shops throughout the Chicago area and the Midwest, with both regular and sugar-free chocolates. Some of our private label customers include: Crate & Barrel, Figi's, Inc of Marshfield, WI, and Golden Farm Candies of South Bend, IN, which offers a complete line of sugar-free chocolates distributed nationally.
In 2003, we again expanded our market to include Hospital Gift Shops, Floral Shops, and Gift Basket Companies throughout the Chicagoland area and Northwest Indiana. This expansion has allowed us to offer our fresh made premium chocolates to an expanded customer base in the Northwest suburbs.